Do you know of any who are experiencing progress in life and career? Have you interacted with such a person to know their secret of progress?
If you have, you will notice a recurring word used by people in this category which is self-control/self-discipline/temperance.
Self-discipline is an act that begins from the mind before it reflects on the outside.
You can only struggle with self-discipline. when you lack passion, vision/goals.
How to gradually slip into the garment of temperance still known as self-control or self-discipline.
- Be specific about what you want to do with your life. Once you’ve figured it out, then put it down in writing. There’s great power in penning down life goals.
- Write down how you can achieve your already written goals. Discuss with yourself on the possible and perfect ways to accomplish what you are setting out to do.
- If your environment or circle of friends needs to be changed please do it without looking back. Surround yourself with the right people who can support the area you wish to change.
- We are humans and can be distracted. Write down those things that can easily distract you from achieving your penned down goal. Starve your distractions. As you continuously starve your distractions, you will get used to it. It can be a certain food, drink, reckless spending, sleeping, wrong people etc. Analyse what you can do to keep them away from you.
- Give yourself short term and long term goals and stay responsible and accountable. Your written goals should and must be achievable.
- Every month, review your goals and the progress made. Discuss your progress with family, close friends and a coach (if you have one).
- Never compare your life journey with another. Comparison is unhealthy and a waste of time because it can lead to frustration. Your goal is achieving progress through self-discipline. And if there’s progress then you’re on the move.
There is nothing that can be achieved without self-discipline be it in marriage, career, parenting, ministry etc.
You can’t even build a working relationship with God without this virtue called self-discipline. To commune with Him through prayers, reading His Word and Meditation, you need to be self-disciplined.
Some people desire anointing, gifts of the Holy Spirit, fruits of the Holy Spirit but lack the discipline to fast, pray,study the Word and read godly books.
Nothing can be successfully achieved without this root of all other virtues called Temperance.